About the APBI Program
Students in the Applied Biology Program explore the real-world application of the life sciences to the management of land, animals and food production.** The program emphasizes critical thinking, practical involvement, and a systems approach that integrates technical knowledge with sustainability and ethics. The Program equips graduates with the skills and knowledge to become leaders in sustainable food production and the responsible use of land, water and animals.
APBI Program Director: Prof. David Fraser
**The “Bachelor of Science in Applied Biology” (offered by the Faculty of Land and Food Systems) complements other degree options. The “Bachelor of Applied Science” (offered by the Faculty of Applied Science) provides training in engineering. The “Bachelor of Science” degree (offered by the Faculty of Science) allows students to study basic biological sciences such as cell biology, molecular biology, physiology and ecology.
Is Applied Biology Right For You?
Are you interested in:
- The interrelationships of plants, animals, soils and the atmosphere?
- Sustainable food production systems?
- Protecting and improving the natural environment?
- The health, protection and well-being of animals?
- Working to improve food production and solve food shortages?
- Teaching others the intricacies and importance of the living world?
- The role of agriculture in urban areas?
- Courses that directly relate your classroom learning to practical and current applications?
…then consider a Bachelor of Science in Applied Biology.
(Prospective applicants to the Faculty of Applied Science, e.g. Engineering, please see http://apsc.ubc.ca/)
The deadline to apply to LFS minors is March 31. Please note that the date listed in the UBC Calendar is incorrect.
Students wanting a foundation in business management are encouraged to consider this minor. Application for Admission (Completed applications must be returned no later than March 31).
Students in the FNH program can augment their studies by obtaining this minor. Application for Admission (Completed applications must be returned no later than March 31).
Students wishing to augment their studies may pursue a minor in science. Application for Admission (Completed applications must be returned no later than March 31).