EQUITY, DIVERSITY, INCLUSION, AND INDIGENEITY
Equity Statement for the Faculty of Land and Food Systems
The Faculty of Land and Food Systems is committed to advancing equity, inclusion and upholding human rights in our work at the university by listening and learning from different perspectives as we build pathways for transformation and continuous improvement. We recognize that our modern food system is built on historical and on-going systems of oppression, and institutions of higher education have played a significant role in perpetuating harms through research, teaching, and community service. We also recognize the power and unearned privilege held by our Faculty and our responsibility to interrupt the reproduction of harm through our work.
In alignment with UBC’s Inclusion Action Plan, Land and Food Systems has committed to furthering equity, diversity, and inclusion through six priority action areas in 2021-2022:
- Metrics, Protocols, Policies, and Communication
- EDI Competencies Development for LFS Stakeholders
- Research and Laboratory Protocols
- Curriculum and Classroom Environment
- Outreach, Recruitment, Onboarding and Retainment of Faculty, Staff and Students
- Co & Extra-Curricular Programming and Events
Progress on initiatives related to each priority area can be accessed through the Air Table that will be embedded in our Initiatives section below (coming soon).
The LFS Equity, Diversity, Inclusion, and Indigeneity Committee is responsible for implementing UBC’s policies related to equity, diversity, inclusion, and indigeneity within the Faculty of Land and Food Systems. This committee includes representatives from students, faculty and staff.
The EDI.I Working Group welcomes students, faculty and staff to participate in implementing activities and policies in the faculty.
- Will Valley, faculty – Associate Dean, EDI, Faculty of Land and Food Systems
- Dana-Lyn McKenize, staff – Senior Manager, EDI & Indigeneity
- Amanda Reaume, staff
- Amelie Zhang, student
- Anisha Sandhu, student
- Azita Madadi Noei, faculty
- Baohua Wang, staff
- Clare Cullen, staff
- Gordon Ly, staff
- Juli Carrillo, faculty
- Karen Lee, staff
- Pia Lim, staff
- Rob Kim, staff
- Shannon Wong, staff
- In September 2021, the university held several events to recognize Canada's first National Day for Truth and Reconciliation. UBC's science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) faculties came together to commemorate the day with an intergenerational march on Sept. 30, and also held a participatory reading of the 94 Calls to Action from the 2015 Truth and Reconciliation Commission Report. Learn more.
- In fall 2021, the EDI.I Working Group took steps towards meaningful reconciliation by collectively reviewing UBC’s Indigenous Strategic Plan (ISP) Self-Assessment toolkit, which provides an action plan to advance the human rights of all Indigenous people and Peoples connected to the university. By educating ourselves and through respectful dialogue, the Working Group members aim to reflect on the purpose of the ISP and advance Indigenous human rights within LFS through more informed and positive action.
- LFS Undergraduate Society (LFS|US) formalized support for EDI.I by creating the position of an EDI Coordinator and a subcommittee to specifically support the student body. They will lead initiatives to increase interaction and education through events, social media and will focus on fostering an inclusive environment within the faculty through educational and advocacy-focused initiatives. The LFS|US held a workshop called Understanding the Different Contexts of Food Sovereignty Work.
Below are some selected resources related to EDI and Indigeneity in agriculture and food systems, as well as within the campus environment.
For those who are seeking support and guidance, there are many avenues of support at UBC.
LFS Program Directors
If you have experienced or witnessed issues of misconduct, harassment, discrimination, etc. contact the appropriate program chair or director.
- Dr. Maja Krizc – Program Director, Applied Biology
- Dr. Tamara Cohen – Director, Dietetics
- Dr. Christine Scaman – Program Director, Food, Nutrition and Health
- Dr. Sumeet Gulati - Program Director, Food and Resource Economics
- Dr. Les Lavkulich - Program Director, Global Resource Systems
- Dr. Will Valley – Associate Dean, Equity, Diversity and Inclusion
If you are not comfortable reporting incidents of misconduct, harassment, discrimination, etc., to directors within your program, contact the Office of the Ombudsperson for Students: ombudsoffice.ubc.ca
AMS Advocacy and Ombuds
IBPOC Connections: Staff + Faculty
Anti-bullying and anti-harassment policies and reporting
Information for faculty, staff and student employees.
Sexual misconduct policies and reporting
Should a student, staff or faculty member feel they have experienced sexual misconduct, they should report it to the UBC Sexual Violence Prevention and Response Office: svpro.ubc.ca.
Graduate Student Advocacy