Barbara Hsiao, Director of HR & Administration, receives President’s Staff Award
Barbara Hsiao, the director of HR and administration in the faculty, was recognized with a 2019 President’s Staff Award (Wellbeing).
While she is a trusted advisor to many, Barbara stands out for her continuous commitment to delivering outstanding service. As the Faculty of Land and Food Systems director of HR and administration (staff) since 2008, Barbara has put into place many best practices and brings people together by organizing team-building activities, opportunities for learning, and events to share her love of food.
These are some of the initiatives that Barbara has spearheaded:
- Big Bike to support the Heart & Stroke Foundation – she co-captains the LFS team and leads fundraising of $5000 every year, with a new record of $7000 last year!
- Barbara introduced a policy of giving LFS staff the day off on their birthdays.
- UBC Walkabout Challenge – during the competition, she initiates walking meetings and extra meet-ups so all LFS participants can gain steps during the workweek and on weekends.
- Organizes the annual Staff-Faculty Professional Development Day – a day of activities for staff to learn something new and bond with co-workers. Often this is themed around land or food, such as tea-making at UBC Farm.
- Implemented a Faculty subsidy for events to encourage participation and overcome cost barriers: Sun Run, Harvest Feastival, Walkabout.
- Organizes an LFS team for the annual Sun Run.
She has worked at UBC since 1998 and has a strong knowledge of UBC administration. Within the Faculty, Barbara has built a strong community that makes land and food systems recognized as the “Friendly Faculty”.