Teriyaki Tofu and Veggie Grain Bowl
This recipe is great for those who want to make a yummy meal in advance. Simply store in the fridge, heat up and enjoy. I personally love this recipe because it uses one of my favourite protein sources, tofu. It is also extremely versatile with a number of different ingredients that can be used. The combination of types of ingredients is also quite nutritious and fresh. As well, it can be made and enjoyed by my whole family!
Makes one serving
- ¼ cup of brown rice or grains of choice
- ½ cup of salad greens
- 1 – 2 cups of assorted veggies (Ex. carrots, broccoli, mushrooms, purple cabbage, red peppers)
- ½ cup of tofu
- ~2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- Optional seasoning: pinch of salt, pepper, garlic powder
- ¼ cup of water
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed
- 1 tbs water
- 2 tbs water
- Pinch of ginger powder
- Optional: a pinch of Chili flakes, green onions
1. Cook brown rice or choice of grains in a small pot.
2. Preheat oven to 425℉.
3. Prep veggies of choice by cutting them into bite sized pieces and toss the veggies in the extra virgin olive oil and season lightly with salt, pepper and garlic powder if desired. Place veggies on a lined baking sheet and put in the oven.
4. Put the sheet tray in the oven for ~12 minutes, or until roasted to desired liking.
5. Cut tofu into 1-2 inch cubes. Lightly season with salt, garlic powder, and black pepper if desired. Heat a non-stick pan over medium-high heat and pour a couple tsps of oil in the pan and add the tofu to the pan. Flip tofu when golden brown on each side. While waiting for tofu to brown, make the sauce.
6. Place ¼ cup of water, 1 tsp soy sauce, 1 tsp brown sugar, 1 clove of crushed garlic in a small saucepot over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Make cornstarch slurry by putting 1 tbs cornstarch in a bowl with 2 tbs water, and stirring until smooth. Bring sauce to a boil and add cornstarch slurry. Stir until thickened, add water if sauce is too thick.
7. Coat tofu in a couple tablespoons of the sauce, and take off heat.
8. Assemble the tofu bowl by adding the grains and salad greens to the bottom of the bowl, then top the bowl with roasted veggies and tofu. Add more sauce as desired.