Rishi R. Burlakoti
Adjunct Professor, Research Scientist-Plant Pathology
Agassiz Research and Development Centre, 6947 Highway 7, Agassiz, BC V0M 1A2
Ph.D., Plant Pathology, North Dakota State University, 2008
M.Sc. Ag., Specialization in Plant Pathology, Tribhuwan University, 2003
Our research programs focus on pathogen characterization, understanding pathogen biology, disease epidemiology, and host-pathogen interaction. The overall goal of our research program is apply knowledge and practices for sustainable management of major diseases of berry crops, field and greenhouse vegetables crops of British Columbia. Current research projects include: characterization of strains of Phytophthora infestans (late blight of tomatoes and potatoes); pathogen characterization and sustainable management of root rot complex and bacterial blight of berry crops.
- Burlakoti R. R. and Sapkota S. 2020. Root rot and wilting disease complex of red raspberry in the Fraser Valley of British Columbia in 2018 and 2019. Canadian Plant Disease Survey 2020 Volume 100: Disease Highlights 2019, Canadian Journal of Plant Pathology, 42:sup1, 1-175, DOI: 10.1080/07060661.2020.1752524.
- Latchman S. R. and Burlakoti R. R. 2020. Bacterial blight of highbush blueberry in the British Columbia Lower Mainland in 2019. Canadian Plant Disease Survey 2020 Volume 100: Disease Highlights 2019, Canadian Journal of Plant Pathology, 42:sup1, 1-175, DOI: 10.1080/07060661.2020.1752524.
- Burlakoti, R. R. and Dossett, M. 2020. Past efforts and future perspectives of managing major diseases of red raspberries in British Columbia. Acta Horticulture 1277:397-402 ISHS 2020. DOI 10.17660/ActaHortic.2020.1277.56.
- Pandey, A. K, Burlakoti, R. R., Rathore, A., Nair, R. M. 2020. Morphological and molecular characterization of Macrophomina phaseolina isolated from three legume crops and evaluation of mungbean genotypes for resistance to dry root rot. Crop Protection. 127:104962. doi.org/10.1016/j.cropro.2019.104962.
- Burlakoti, R. R., Hsu, C.-F., Chen, J.-R., Sheu, Z.-M., Bihon, W., and Kenyon, L. 2020. Capture of Ralstonia solanacearum species complex strains directly from plant tissue sampled on FTA cards for molecular characterization. Journal of Plant Pathology. 102:11-17. https://doi.org/10.1007/s42161-019-00361-z.
- Burlakoti, R. R., Grant S., and Prasad R. 2019. Diseases of brassica vegetables in the British Columbia Fraser valley in 2018. The Canadian Phytopathological Society Canadian Plant Disease Survey: Disease Highlights 2019, Canadian Journal of Plant Pathology 41:sup1,189, DOI: 10.1080/07060661.2019.1619270.
- Tedford, S. L., Burlakoti, R. R., Schaafsma, A. W., and Trueman, C. L. 2019. Optimizing management of Cercospora leaf spot (Cercospora beticola) of sugarbeet in the wake of fungicide resistance. Canadian Journal Plant Pathology 41:35-46. https://doi.org/10.1080/07060661.2018.1561518.
- Pandey A. K., Burlakoti R. R., Kenyon L., Nair R. M. 2018. Perspectives and Challenges for Sustainable Management of Fungal Diseases of Mungbean [Vigna radiata (L.) R. Wilczek var. radiata]: A Review. Frontier in Environmental Science 6:53. https://doi.org/10.3389/fenvs.2018.00053.
- Burlakoti, R. R., Hsu, C.-F., Chen, J.-R., Wang, J.-F. 2018. Population dynamics of Xanthomonads associated with bacterial spot of tomato and pepper during twenty-seven years across Taiwan. Plant Disease 102:1348-1356.
- Burlakoti, R. R., Chen, J.-R., Hsu, C.-F., Burlakoti, P., Kenyon, L. 2018. Molecular characterization, comparison of screening methods, and evaluation of cross-pathogenicity of black rot (Xanthomonas campestris pv. campestris) strains from cabbage, choy sum, leafy mustard, and pak choi from Taiwan. Plant Pathology. 67:1589-1600.
- Barchenger, D. W., Sheu, Z.-M. Sheu, Kumar, S., Lin, S.-W., Burlakoti, R. R., Bosland, P. W. 2018. Race characterization of Phytophthora capsici as a basis for global anticipatory resistance breeding in Capsicum. Phytopathology. 108:964-971.
- Tedford, S. L., Burlakoti, R. R., Schaafsma, A. W., and Trueman, C. L. 2018. Relationships among airborne Cercospora beticola conidia concentration, weather variables, and Cercospora leaf spot severity in sugar beet (Beta vulgaris L.). Can Journal Plant Pathology. 40:1-10.
- Barchenger, D. W., Lamour, K. H., Sheu, Z.-M. Sheu, Shrestha, S., Kumar, S., Lin, S.-W., Burlakoti, R. R., Bosland, P. W. 2017. Intra- and intergenomic variation of ploidy and clonality characterize Phytophthora capsicum sp. in Taiwan, Mycological Progress 16:955-963.
- Burlakoti R. R., Neate, S. M., Gyawali, S., Horsley, R., Smith, K. P., Cooper B., and Chao, S. 2017. Genome-wide association study of spot form of net blotch in the Upper Midwest Barley Breeding Programs. Phytopathology 107:100-108.
- Burlakoti, R. R. Tamburic-Illincic, L., Limay-Rios, V., and Burlakoti, P. 2017. Comparative population structure and trichothecene mycotoxin profiling of Fusarium graminearum from Corn and Wheat in Ontario, Central Canada. Plant Pathology. 66:14-27.