Academic Director, Master of Food Science Program
FNH 209, 2205 East Mall
Ph.D. – Food Science, Interdepartmental Program in Food and Nutritional Sciences, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, Canada, 1988
M.Sc. - Human Nutrition, Warsaw University of Life Sciences (SGGW), Poland, 1981
B.Sc. - Food Technology - Human Nutrition, Warsaw University of Life Sciences (SGGW), Poland, 1981
Dr. Zawistowski research focus on functional foods and nutraceuticals. This includes health benefits as well as regulatory aspect of bioactive food components, particularly in the area of risk reduction of coronary heart disease.
- FOOD 528 - International Food Law and Regulations
- FOOD 510 – Advances in Food Science
- FNH 402 – Functional Foods and Nutraceuticals
Dr. Zawistowski co-teaches also other graduate courses (FOOD 511, FOOD 531) in the Master of Food Science (MFS) program.
Zawistowski, J. 2023. The Global Regulations and Health Claims on Natural Dietary Antioxidant Supplements. In: Dietary Supplements with Antioxidant Activity - understanding mechanisms and potential health benefits. C. Alasalvar, F. Shahidi, and C-T. Ho (Eds). Chapter 2, pp. 11-39. Royal Society of Chemistry, Cambridge, UK.
Zawistowski, J. and Kopeć, A. 2022. Effect of functional food ingredients on nutrient absorption and digestion. In: Nutrition and Functional Foods in Boosting Digestion, Metabolism and Immune Health. D. Bagchi (Ed.). Chapter 13, pp. 173-193. Elsevier.
Ziobroń, M., Kopeć ,A., Skoczylas, J., Dziadek, K., Zawistowski, J. 2021. Basic Chemical Composition and Concentration of Selected Bioactive Compounds in Leaves of Black, Red and White Currant. Appl. Sci. 11:7638, https://doi.org/10.3390/ app11167638.
Yegin, S., Kopec, A., Kitts, D.D. and Zawistowski, J. 2020. Dietary fiber: a functional food ingredient with physiological benefits. In: Dietary Sugar, Salt, Fat and Calories in Human Health. D. Bagchi (Ed.). Elsevier. (In Press).
Zawistowski, J. 2019. Regulation of functional foods in selected Asian countries in the Pacific Rim. Revised and Updated. In: Nutraceuticals and Functional Foods Regulations in the United States and Around the World. 3rd edition. D. Bagchi (Ed.) Chapter 33. Elsevier.
Zawistowski, J., Kopeć, A., Jędrszczyk, E., Francik, R. and Bystrowska, B. 2018. Garlic grown from air-bulbils and its potential health benefits. In: Advances in Plant Phenolica: From Chemistry to Human Health. G.K. Jayaprakasha, B.S. Patil and G. Gattuso (Eds), Chapter 17, pp. 315-328. ACS Symposium Series, American Chemical Society, Washington, DC Books.
Orem, A., Alasalvar, C., Kural, B.V., Yaman, S., Orem, C.,Karadağ, A., Pelitli, E.P. and Zawistowski, J. 2017. Cardio-protective effects of phytosterol-enriched functional black tea in mild hypercholesterolemia subjects. J. Functional Foods. 31:311-319.
Zawistowski, J and Jones, P. 2015. Regulatory aspects related to plant sterol and stanol supplemental foods. J AOAC International, 98:1-7.
Sosnowski, R. and Zawistowski, J. 2014. Words of wisdom. Expert opinion on “Plasma Phospholipid Fatty Acids and Prostate Cancer Risk in the SELECT Trial” by Theodore M. Brasky and co-workers. Eur. Urology, 65: 1012.
- 2022 – Merit Award of the International Society for Nutraceuticals and Functional Foods (ISNFF) for outstanding contributions to the nutraceuticals and functional foods discipline and service to the ISNFF
- Certified Food Scientist (since 2013) awarded by Institute of Food Technologists for demonstrating competence and proficiency in food science as demonstrated by professional experience and education
- Medal of Merit of Professor Franciszek Nowotny in recognition of services to the Faculty of Food Technology, Agriculture University of Krakow, Poland
- Garson N. (Gerry) Vogel Memorial Award, University of Manitoba
- Treasurer for the International Society of Nutraceuticals and Functional Foods (ISNFF) - appointed in 2022
- International Supervisor for Institute of Food Science and Technology, Chinese Academy of Agricultural Science – appointed in 2017
- Academic Consultant for Institute of Food Science and Technology, Chinese Academy of Agricultural Science – appointed in 2017
- Member of Executive Committee for British Columbia Institute of Food Technologists (as a Representative of Food, Nutrition and Health, UBC) 2016 – 2018
- BC Functional Foods and Nutraceutical Network (BCFN), A Founding member and a member of Organizational Committee (1998-2015) – Chairman and Director
- Active reviewer for Journal of Functional Foods, Food Chemistry, Food and Agricultural Immunology, Lipids
- Author of 13 international patents in the field of formulation, therapeutic benefits and processing of functional foods