ReachOut is published twice a year by the Faculty of Land and Food Systems at UBC.
Sign up for our mailing list to receive the latest issue in your inbox every spring and fall.
Highlights in this issue
- Dean’s Message
- Animal Welfare Program Expands Research on Canine Companions
- Supporting Animal Welfare for 25 Years
- Drought Resistance in Wine Grapes and Hazelnuts
- Investigating a No-Till Future
- New Faculty Profile: Jay Martiniuk
- New Faculty Profile: Amelia MacRae
- New Faculty Profile: Bruna Donatti Castro Falci
- New Faculty Profile: David Wright
- Retiring Faculty Member: David McArthur
- Retiring Faculty Member: Tony Farrell
- Retiring Faculty Member: David Fraser
- Shaping Indigenous Curriculum at LFS
- Milestones and News & Notes
Dean Rickey hopes you enjoy this issue of ReachOut magazine, where we are introducing a refreshed look-and-feel to the edition.
Drought Resistance in Wine Grapes and Hazelnuts
LFS researchers Thorsten Knipfer and Simone Castellarin are working to understand the specifics of growing woody perennial crops during conditions of water stress by drought.
New Faculty Profile: Jay Martiniuk
Growing up on his family’s vineyard in the Okanagan, and working as a cellar master and winemaker at B.C. wineries, Jay Martiniuk brings wine-making insights from industry to the classroom.
New Faculty Profile: Bruna Donatti Castro Falci
Bruna Donatti Castro Falci joined the Food, Nutrition and Health Program as a Lecturer in June 2022, teaching in the Dietetics and the new Master of Nutrition and Dietetics programs.
Retiring Faculty Member: David McArthur
David McArthur retires this year and reflects on his research and career at UBC. In 1995, he started as a Research Associate in Plant Science with berry industry and government grants.
Retiring Faculty Member: David Fraser
David Fraser came to UBC after a diverse career that included doing the first scientific research on the welfare of sows (1975) and the role of highway de-icing salt in road accidents involving moose (1981).
Contact us at email@example.com.
Past issues of ReachOut are available to view here.
ReachOut is published by the Faculty of Land and Food Systems at the University of British Columbia
Editor: Karen Lee
Contributors (current issue): Sabrina Hsieh, Melanie Kuxdorf, Pia Lim, Shannon Wong
Principal Photography (current issue): Martin Dee
Design & Layout (Print Version): Dee Creative Inc.
Website: Karen Lee, Pia Lim
Advisory Committee (current issue): Cyprien Lomas, Gail Hammond, Lesley Dampier, Niki Glenning, Zoë Campbell
Editor: Karen Lee