Associate Professor of Teaching & Program Director, Food, Nutrition and Health
FNH 214, 2205 East Mall
University of British Columbia, Faculty Certificate Program, Teaching and Learning in Higher Education
University of British Columbia, PhD, Human Nutrition
University of British Columbia, MSc, Human Nutrition
University of Victoria, BSc, Chemistry
Grounded in my professional practice as a nutrition educator in the community and in academia, my research activities have focused on:
- Gaining understanding of how decision-making processes influence women’s food choices and examining use of this information to improve food choice behaviours.
- Examining processes used to develop nutrition communication/education resources for the purpose of improving knowledge translation and consumer education.
In my teaching practice, I aim to create transformative learning environments that are informed by the pedagogical literature and are responsive to students’ critical reflections on their undergraduate educational experiences. To this end, I study, implement and evaluate different pedagogies, class activities and evaluation processes.
Undergraduate Teaching Areas
- FNH 250: Nutrition Concepts and Controversies
- FNH 342: Critical Perspectives on Consumer Food Practices
- FNH 370: Nutrition Assessment
- FNH 473: Applied Public Health Nutrition
- FNH 490: Topics in Food, Nutrition and Health
- DHYG 208: Oral Health Sciences II
- DHYG 310: Dental Hygiene Theory and Practice III
- DENT 420: Dentistry II: Basic Clinical Dentistry
Paez-Varas, C., & Hammond, G. (2022). Food insecurity on campus: A community-engaged case study with student-led families at the University of British Columbia. Canadian Food Studies, 9, 103–123. DOI: https://doi.org/10.15353/cfs-rcea.v9i3.576
Hammond, G. K., Chapman, G. E., & Barr, S. I. (2011). Healthy midlife Canadian women: How bone health is considered in their food choice systems. Journal of Human Nutrition and Dietetics, 24, 61–67. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-277X.2010.01125.x
Hammond, G. K., & Chapman, G. E. (2008). Decision-making in the dairy aisle: Maximizing taste, health, cost and family considerations. Canadian Journal of Dietetic Practice & Research, 69, 66–70. https://doi.org/10.3148/69.2.2008.66
Chapman, G. E., Melton, C. L., & Hammond, G. K. (1998). College and University Students' Breakfast Consumption Patterns: Behaviours, Beliefs, Motivations and Personal and Environmental Influences, Canadian Journal of Dietetic Practice & Research, 59, 176–182.
Hammond, G. K., McCargar, L. J., & Barr, S. I. (1998). Student and Parent Response to Use of an Early Childhood Nutrition Education Program, Canadian Journal of Dietetic Practice & Research, 59, 176–182.
Hammond, G. K., Barr, S. I., & McCargar, L. J. (1994). Teachers' perceptions and use of an innovative early childhood nutrition education program, Journal of Nutrition Education, 59, 176–182. DOI: 10.1016/s0022-3182(12)80895-8
Whitney, E., Rolfes, S. R., Hammond, G., O’Connor, C., & Piche, L. A. (2024). Understanding Nutrition, 3rd (Canadian) edition. Cengage Education Ltd.
- College of Dietitians of British Columbia
- Dietitians of Canada