Developing your career is a process. We encourage you to do what you can while at LFS to gain experience and try things out. Doing this will help you learn more about what you like and don’t like and will show employers that you have strengthened your skills. Remember, all of your experience counts – both inside and outside the classroom, paid and unpaid.
Our Top Tips for Getting Started:
- Check out “What can I do with my Land and Food Systems degree?” to learn about different types of experiences, involvement, and careers in LFS. Look deeper into the 8 LFS majors – skills and career possibilities.
- Refer to the many online career resources from the UBC Career Centre.
- Follow @careercarrots on Instagram and listen to the Career Carrots podcast on Apple Podcast, Spotify, or wherever you get your podcasts.
Meet With Our LFS Career Strategist
Topics can include:
- Identifying career options
- Developing job search strategies
- Strengthening your resumes, cover letters, CVs and interviews
- Creating a personal branding strategy
- Writing graduate school applications
- And much more!
Your Career Strategist
Allison Mander-Wionzek (she/her) is the LFS Career Strategist. Allison holds a BA from UBC and an MA from SFU. She is trained as a coach under the Co-Active model and has been working in the field of career development at UBC and beyond for over 8 years. Allison is of settler ancestry, identifies as queer and living with multiple invisible disabilities. She is particularly passionate about making workplaces more inclusive and was a member of the team that produced UBC’s Career resources for students from historically marginalized communities. Allison is also an artist, writer and avid animal lover.
Allison is available for career advising appointments:
- Mondays & Fridays – 12:00pm to 1:30pm (Virtual via Zoom)
- Tuesdays & Thursdays – 10:00am to 12:00pm (In-Person at LFS Student Services, or Virtual via Zoom)
- Other appointment times available by request when possible.
How to book:
- Log into CareersOnline as a student with your CWL.
- Select “Advising” in the top menu.
- Choose “Book New Appointment”.
- Select the topic you would like to discuss.
- Select “Allison Mander-Wionzek” as your preferred Advisor.
- Explore the available appointment times, select one and complete the booking.
If you are not able to find appointments with Allison, you are welcome to meet with another advisor. To do so, do not select Allison under the Advisor heading. During peak job search times of the year this is recommended.
- Listen to Career Carrots, the very first LFS-run podcast on all things career!
- Click here for some career resources curated by LFS Student Services
- Excel Template to Organize Your Career Information
- Word Resume Template Using Tables (Examples Provided)
- Values Skills & Interests Table (VSI Table) Worksheet
- Check out UBC Career Centre for all their career workshop offerings.
- Recordings of Career Webinars
- LinkedIn Learning Networking Resources
- Check out “What can I do with my Land and Food Systems degree?” Learn about different types of experiences, involvement, and careers in LFS. Look deeper into the 8 LFS majors – skills and career possibilities.