Academic Director of the Land, Food, and Community Series
Food, Nutrition, and Health Building 210
2205 East MallVancouver, BC V6T 1Z4
University of British Columbia, PhD, Sustainable Food System Education
University of British Columbia, BEd, Secondary Sciences
University of British Columbia, BSc, General Biology
My research interests include:
- Sustainable Food System Education
- Food Security
- Systems Thinking and Cognitive Psychology
- School Food Systems
- Community-Engaged Scholarship
- Urban Agriculture
Valley, W., Fu, G., & Jovel, E. (2017). Preparing students for complexity and uncertainty: Flexible Learning strategies for developing environmental professionals. In Envisioning futures for environmental and sustainability education (Vols. 1–0, pp. 217–228). Wageningen Academic Publishers. Access: http://www.wageningenacademic.com/doi/abs/10.3920/978-90-8686-846-9_15
- Valley, W. and Wittman, H. (2016). Urban Agriculture in Vancouver, BC: motivations, meanings, and multi-functionality. In The Governance of City Food Systems: Case Studies From Around The World. (Eds. Deakin, M., Diamantini, D., & Borrelli, N.). Milano: Giangiacomo Feltrinelli Foundation. pp. 41-61. Retrieved from http://www.fondazionefeltrinelli.it/article/ebook-utopie-the-governance-of-city-food-systems-case-studies-from-around-the-world/
- Cassidy, A., Fu, G., Valley, W., Lomas, C., Jovel, E., & Riseman, A. (2016). Flexible Learning Strategies in First through Fourth-Year Courses. Collected Essays on Learning and Teaching, 9(0), 83–94.
- Rojas, A., Valley, W., Bomke, A. & Skura, B. (2013). “Community Food Security Assessment Project”. In Teaching Food Systems and Sustainability in Nutrition Education and Dietetic Training: Lessons for Educators (A. Harmon, Ed). Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, Hunger and Environmental Nutrition Dietetic Practice Group. pp. 86-88.
- Rojas, A., Sipos, Y. & Valley, W. (2012). “Reflection on 10 Years of Community-Engaged Scholarship in the Faculty of Land and Food Systems at the University of British Columbia-Vancouver”. Journal of Higher Education Outreach and Engagement, 16(1), 195–214.
- Rojas, A., Valley, W., Mansfield, B., Orrego, E., Chapman, G. E., & Harlap, Y. (2011). “Toward Food System Sustainability through School Food System Change: Think&EatGreen@School and the Making of a Community-University Research Alliance”. Sustainability, 3(5), 763–788.