The long-term objective of my research program is to gain a basic understanding of the molecular properties of food components, which will enable a systematic approach to food quality control, process improvement and new product development.
My main research interests are:
- application of spectroscopic methods to study food systems
- structure-function characterization of food peptides and proteins with specific bio-activity, health-enhancing or techno-functional properties
- FNH 200 Exploring our Food (previously taught)
- FNH 302 Food Analysis (previously taught)
- FNH 425 Food Science laboratory III (previously taught)
- FOOD 510 – Advances in Food Science
- FOOD 500/600 – Food Science graduate seminar
Please note: I am NOT accepting new graduate students or postdoctoral fellows.
(Selected publications from 2010-present)
Lee, J.K., Li-Chan, E.C.Y. & Byun, H.-G. 2015. Characterization of β-secretase inhibitory peptide purified from skate skin protein hydrolysate. European Food Research and Technology 240:129-136. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s00217-014-2314-9
Lacroix, I.M.E. & Li-Chan, E.C.Y. 2015. Comparison of the susceptibility of porcine and human recombinant dipeptidyl-peptidase IV to inhibition by protein-derived peptides. Peptides 69:19-25. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.peptides.2015.03.016
Hu, H., Cheung, I.W.Y., Pan, S. and Li-Chan, E.C.Y. 2015. Effect of high intensity ultrasound on physicochemical and functional properties of aggregated soybean β-conglycinin and glycinin. Food Hydrocolloids 45: 102-110. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.foodhyd.2014.11.004
Cheung, L.K.Y., Aluko, R.E., Cliff, M.A. and Li-Chan, E.C.Y. 2015. Effects of exopeptidase treatment on antihypertensive activity and taste attributes of enzymatic whey protein hydrolysates. Journal of Functional Foods 13: 262-275. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jff.2014.12.036
Li-Chan, E.C.Y. 2015. Bioactive peptides and protein hydrolysates: research trends and challenges for application as nutraceuticals and functional food ingredients. Current Opinion in Food Science 1:28-37. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.cofs.2014.09.005
Hu, Y., Feng, S., Gao, F., Li-Chan, E.C.Y., Grant, E. and Lu, X. 2015. Detection of melamine in milk using molecularly imprinted polymers-surface enhanced Raman spectroscopy. Food Chemistry 176:123-129.
Whitfield, K.C., Karakochuk, C.D., Liu, Y., McCann, A., Talukder, A., Kroeun, H., Ward, M., McNulty, H., Lynd, L.D., Kitts, D.D., Li-Chan, E.C.Y., McLean, J. and Green, T.J. 2015. Poor thiamin and riboflavin status is common among women of childbearing age in rural and urban Cambodia. The Journal of Nutrition. doi:10.3945/j.114.203604
Gao, F., Feng, S., Chen, Z., Li-Chan, E.C.Y., Grant, E. and Lu, X. 2014. Detection and quantification of chloramphenicol in milk and honey using molecularly imprinted polymers-Canadian penny based SERS nano-biosensor. J Food Sci 79:N2542-2549.
Lacroix, I.M.E. & Li-Chan, E.C.Y. 2014. Peptide array on cellulose support – a screening tool to identify peptides with dipeptidyl-peptidase IV inhibitory activity with the sequence of α-lactalbumin. International Journal of Molecular Sciences 15:20846-20858. http://dx.doi.org/10.3390/ijms151120846
Siriangkanakun, S., Li-Chan, E.C.Y. and Yongsawadigul, J. 2014. Identification by GeLC-MS/MS of trypsin inhibitor in sarcoplasmic proteins of three tropical fish and characterization of their inhibitory properties. Journal of Food Science 79:C1305-1314. doi: 10.1111/1750-3841.12521
Solowiej, B., Cheung, I.W.Y. and Li-Chan, E.C.Y. 2014.Texture, rheology and meltability of processed cheese analogues prepared using rennet or acid casein with or without added whey proteins. International Dairy Journal 38:87-94 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.idairyj.2014.03.003
Lacroix, I.M.E. & Li-Chan, E.C.Y. 2014. Isolation and characterization of peptides with dipeptidyl peptidase-IV inhibitory activity from pepsin-treated bovine whey proteins. Peptides 54:39-48.DOI 10.1016/j.peptides.2014.01.002
Lacroix, I.M.E. and Li-Chan, E.C.Y. 2014. Investigation of the putative associations between dairy consumption and incidence of type 1 and type 2 diabetes. Critical Reviews in Food Science and Nutrition 54(4): 411-432.http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/10408398.2011.587039
Cheung, I.W.Y. and Li-Chan, E.C.Y. 2014. Application of taste sensing system for characterisation of enzymatic hydrolysates from shrimp processing by-products. Food Chemistry 145: 1076-1085. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2013.09.004
Lacroix, I.M.E. and Li-Chan, E.C.Y. 2013. Inhibition of dipeptidyl peptidase (DPP)-IV and α-glucosidase activities by pepsin-treated whey proteins. J. Agric. Food Chem. 61: 7500-7506. http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/jf401000s
Lacroix, I.M.E. and Li-Chan, E.C.Y. 2013. Overview of food products and dietary constituents with anti-diabetic properties and their putative mechanisms of action – a natural approach to complement pharmacotherapy in the management of diabetes. Molecular Nutrition & Food Research 58:61-78 http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/mnfr.201300223
Hu, H., Li-Chan, E.C.Y., Wan, L., Tian, M. and Pan S. 2013. The effect of high intensity ultrasonic pre-treatment on the gelation properties of soybean protein isolate gel induced by calcium sulfate. Food Hydrocolloids 32:303-311.
Ho, T.C.W., Li-Chan, E.C.Y., Skura, B.J., Higgs, D.A. and Dosanjh, B. 2013. Pacific hake (Merluccius productus Ayres, 1855) hydrolysates as feed attractants for juvenile Chinook salmon (Oncorhynchus tshawytscha Walbaum, 1792). Aquaculture Research 2012, 1-13. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/are.12056
Korzeniowska, M.. Cheung, I.W.Y. and Li-Chan, E.C.Y. 2013. Effects of fish protein hydrolysate and freeze-thaw treatment on physicochemical and gel properties of natural actomyosin from Pacific cod. Food Chemistry 138:1967-75.
Hu, H., Wu, J., Li-Chan, E.C.Y., Zhu, L., Zhang, F., Xu, X., Fan, G., Wang, L., Huang, X. and Pan, S. 2013. Effects of ultrasound on structural and physical properties of soy protein isolate (SPI) dispersions. Food Hydrocolloids 30:647-655.
Cheung, L.K.Y., Cheung, I.W.Y. and Li-Chan, E.C.Y. 2012. Effects of production factors and egg-bearing period on the antioxidant activity of enzymatic hydrolysates from shrimp (Pandalopsis dispar) processing byproducts. J. Agric. Food Chem. 60: 6823-6831.
Cheung, I.W.Y., Cheung, L.K.Y., Tan, N.Y. and Li-Chan, E.C.Y. 2012. The role of molecular size in antioxidant activity of peptide fractions from Pacific hake (Merluccius productus) hydrolysates. Food Chemistry 134:1297-1306.
Lacroix, I.M.E. and Li-Chan, E.C.Y. 2012. Evaluation of the potential of dietary proteins as precursors of dipeptidyl peptidase (DPP)-IV inhibitors by an in silico approach. J. Functional Foods 4:403-422.
Lacroix, I.M.E. and Li-Chan, E.C.Y. 2012. Dipeptidyl peptidase (DPP)-IV inhibitory activity of dairy protein hydrolysates. International Dairy Journal 25:97-102.
Li-Chan, E.C.Y. 2012. Proteins: Basic concepts. In “Food Chemistry: Principles and Applications”. Hui, Y.H., editor. Science Technology System, West Sacramento, CA.
Li-Chan, E.C.Y., Huang, S.-L., Jao, C.-L., Ho, K.-P. and Hsu, K.-C. 2012. Peptides derived from Atlantic salmon skin gelatin as dipeptidyl-peptidase IV inhibitors. J. Agric. Food Chem. 60:973-978.
Samaranayaka, A.G.P. and Li-Chan, E.C.Y. 2011. Food-derived peptidic antioxidants: A review of their production, assessment, and potential applications. J. Functional Foods 3:229-254.
Hsu, K.-C., Li-Chan, E.C.Y., and Jao, C.-L. 2011. Antiproliferative activity of peptides prepared from enzymatic hydrolysates of tuna dark muscle on human breast cancer cell line MCF-7. Food Chemistry 126: 617-622.
Mine, Y., Li-Chan, E. and Jiang, B. (editors) 2010. Bioactive Proteins and Peptides As Functional Foods and Nutraceuticals. IFT Book Series, publisher Wiley-Blackwell IFT Book Series. ISBN 978-0-813-81311-0.
Li-Chan, E.C.Y., Griffiths, P.R. and Chalmers, J.M. (editors) 2010. Applications of Vibrational Spectroscopy in Food Science, Volumes 1 and 2. John Wiley & Sons. ISBN 978-0-470-74299-0.
Cheung, I.W.Y. and Li-Chan, E.C.Y. 2010. Angiotensin-I converting enzyme inhibitory activity and bitterness of enzymatically-produced hydrolysates of shrimp (Pandalopsis dispar) processing byproducts investigated by Taguchi design. Food Chemistry 122:1003-1012.
Samaranayaka, A.G.P., Kitts, D.D. and Li-Chan, E.C.Y. 2010. Antioxidative and angiotensin-I-converting enzyme inhibitory potential of a Pacific hake (Merluccius productus) fish protein hydrolysate subjected to simulated gastrointestinal digestion and Caco-2 cell permeation. J. Agric. Food Chem. 58:1535-1542.
Research Team & their projects (2010-present):
* Please note: I am NOT accepting new graduate students or postdoctoral fellows*
- Papungkorn Sangsawad (visiting PhD student from Suranaree University of Technology, Thailand) – ACE inhibitory peptides from Korat chicken
- Isabelle Lacroix (PhD 2015) – DPP-IV inhibitors from dairy and other food proteins
- Imelda Cheung (research technician) – Functional ingredients from food protein hydrolysates
- Guangtao Meng (research associate) – Functional ingredients from food protein hydrolysates; spectroscopic analysis of food protein systems
- Anisa Loewen (MSc 2014) – Re-assembled casein micelles as fat-soluble vitamin vehicles for fluid milk fortification
- Hao Hu (visiting student, PhD 2014) – Effects of high intensity ultrasound treatment on properties of soy proteins
- Lennie Cheung (MSc 2014) – Enzymatic debittering of whey protein hydrolysates with ACE-inhibitory properties
- Susan Yang Liu (MSc 2013) – Vitamin D content and stability in fortified fluid milk
- Peter Jenkelunas (MSc 2013) – Fish protein hydrolysates as cryoprotective agents for frozen fish mince
- Siriporn Siriangkanakun (visiting PhD student 2012) – Properties of a proteinase inhibitor isolated from common carp muscle
- Lennie Cheung (summer student 2011) – Antioxidative properties of protein hydrolysates from shrimp byproducts
- Kuo-Chiang Hsu (visiting Associate Professor 2010) – DPP-IV inhibitors from fish processing byproducts
- Malgorzata Korzeniowska (visiting Dekaban Scholar 2010) – Muscle protein-antioxidative ingredient interactions
- Nina Tan (NSERC USRA 2010) – FPH as antioxidative ingredients in fish products
- Anusha Samaranayaka (PhD 2010) – Bioactive peptides with antioxidant properties from Pacific hake protein hydrolysates
- Reihaneh Noorbakhsh (visiting PhD student 2010) – Spectroscopic analysis of pistachio protein processed for reduced allergenicity