The long-term objective of my research program is to gain a basic understanding of the molecular properties of food components, which will enable a systematic approach to food quality control, process improvement and new product development.
My main research interests are:
- application of spectroscopic methods to study food systems
- structure-function characterization of food peptides and proteins with specific bio-activity, health-enhancing or techno-functional properties
Lacroix, I.M.E. and Li-Chan, E.C.Y. 2014. Investigation of the putative associations between dairy consumption and incidence of type 1 and type 2 diabetes. Critical Reviews in Food Science and Nutrition 54(4): 411-432.http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/10408398.2011.587039
Cheung, I.W.Y. and Li-Chan, E.C.Y. 2014. Application of taste sensing system for characterisation of enzymatic hydrolysates from shrimp processing by-products. Food Chemistry 145: 1076-1085. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2013.09.004
Lacroix, I.M.E. and Li-Chan, E.C.Y. 2013. Inhibition of dipeptidyl peptidase (DPP)-IV and α-glucosidase activities by pepsin-treated whey proteins. J. Agric. Food Chem. 61: 7500-7506. http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/jf401000s
Lacroix, I.M.E. and Li-Chan, E.C.Y. 2013. Overview of food products and dietary constituents with anti-diabetic properties and their putative mechanisms of action – a natural approach to complement pharmacotherapy in the management of diabetes. Molecular Nutrition & Food Research in press http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/mnfr.201300223
Hu, H., Li-Chan, E.C.Y., Wan, L., Tian, M. and Pan S. 2013. The effect of high intensity ultrasonic pre-treatment on the gelation properties of soybean protein isolate gel induced by calcium sulfate. Food Hydrocolloids 32:303-311.
Ho, T.C.W., Li-Chan, E.C.Y., Skura, B.J., Higgs, D.A. and Dosanjh, B. 2013. Pacific hake (Merluccius productus Ayres, 1855) hydrolysates as feed attractants for juvenile Chinook salmon (Oncorhynchus tshawytscha Walbaum, 1792). Aquaculture Research 2012, 1-13. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/are.12056
Korzeniowska, M.. Cheung, I.W.Y. and Li-Chan, E.C.Y. 2013. Effects of fish protein hydrolysate and freeze-thaw treatment on physicochemical and gel properties of natural actomyosin from Pacific cod. Food Chemistry 138:1967-75.
Hu, H., Wu, J., Li-Chan, E.C.Y., Zhu, L., Zhang, F., Xu, X., Fan, G., Wang, L., Huang, X. and Pan, S. 2013. Effects of ultrasound on structural and physical properties of soy protein isolate (SPI) dispersions. Food Hydrocolloids 30:647-655.
Cheung, L.K.Y., Cheung, I.W.Y. and Li-Chan, E.C.Y. 2012. Effects of production factors and egg-bearing period on the antioxidant activity of enzymatic hydrolysates from shrimp (Pandalopsis dispar) processing byproducts. J. Agric. Food Chem. 60: 6823-6831.
Cheung, I.W.Y., Cheung, L.K.Y., Tan, N.Y. and Li-Chan, E.C.Y. 2012. The role of molecular size in antioxidant activity of peptide fractions from Pacific hake (Merluccius productus) hydrolysates. Food Chemistry 134:1297-1306.
Lacroix, I.M.E. and Li-Chan, E.C.Y. 2012. Evaluation of the potential of dietary proteins as precursors of dipeptidyl peptidase (DPP)-IV inhibitors by an in silico approach. J. Functional Foods 4:403-422.
Lacroix, I.M.E. and Li-Chan, E.C.Y. 2012. Dipeptidyl peptidase (DPP)-IV inhibitory activity of dairy protein hydrolysates. International Dairy Journal 25:97-102.
Li-Chan, E.C.Y. 2012. Proteins: Basic concepts. In “Food Chemistry: Principles and Applications”. Hui, Y.H., editor. Science Technology System, West Sacramento, CA.
Li-Chan, E.C.Y., Huang, S.-L., Jao, C.-L., Ho, K.-P. and Hsu, K.-C. 2012. Peptides derived from Atlantic salmon skin gelatin as dipeptidyl-peptidase IV inhibitors. J. Agric. Food Chem. 60:973-978.
Samaranayaka, A.G.P. and Li-Chan, E.C.Y. 2011. Food-derived peptidic antioxidants: A review of their production, assessment, and potential applications. J. Functional Foods 3:229-254.
Hsu, K.-C., Li-Chan, E.C.Y., and Jao, C.-L. 2011. Antiproliferative activity of peptides prepared from enzymatic hydrolysates of tuna dark muscle on human breast cancer cell line MCF-7. Food Chemistry 126: 617-622.
Mine, Y., Li-Chan, E. and Jiang, B. (editors) 2010. Bioactive Proteins and Peptides As Functional Foods and Nutraceuticals. IFT Book Series, publisher Wiley-Blackwell IFT Book Series. ISBN 978-0-813-81311-0.
Li-Chan, E.C.Y., Griffiths, P.R. and Chalmers, J.M. (editors) 2010. Applications of Vibrational Spectroscopy in Food Science, Volumes 1 and 2. John Wiley & Sons. ISBN 978-0-470-74299-0.
Cheung, I.W.Y. and Li-Chan, E.C.Y. 2010. Angiotensin-I converting enzyme inhibitory activity and bitterness of enzymatically-produced hydrolysates of shrimp (Pandalopsis dispar) processing byproducts investigated by Taguchi design. Food Chemistry 122:1003-1012.
Samaranayaka, A.G.P., Kitts, D.D. and Li-Chan, E.C.Y. 2010. Antioxidative and angiotensin-I-converting enzyme inhibitory potential of a Pacific hake (Merluccius productus) fish protein hydrolysate subjected to simulated gastrointestinal digestion and Caco-2 cell permeation. J. Agric. Food Chem. 58:1535-1542.
Tavel, L., Moreau, C., Bouhallab, S., Li-Chan, E.C.Y. and Guichard, E. 2009. Interactions between aroma compounds and B-lactoglobulin in the heat-induced molten globule state. Food Chem. 119:1550-1556.
Cheung, I.W.Y., Nakayama, S., Hsu, M.N.K., Samaranayaka, A.G.P. and Li-Chan ECY. 2009. Angiotensin-I converting enzyme inhibitory activity of hydrolysates from oat (Avena sativa) proteins by in silico and in vitro analyses. J. Agric. Food Chem.57:9234-9242.
Cheung, I.W.Y., Liceaga, A.M. and Li-Chan ECY 2009. Pacific hake (Merluccius productus) hydrolysates as cryoprotective agents in frozen Pacific cod fillet mince. J. Food Sci. 74:C588-594.
Hemung B-O, Li-Chan ECY and Yongsawatdigul J. 2009. Identification of glutaminyl sites on β-lactoglobulin for threadfin bream liver and microbial transglutaminase activity by MALDI-TOF mass spectrometry. Food Chem 115:149-54.
Zhou, L S, and Li-Chan, E.C.Y. 2009. Effects of Kudoa spores, endogenous protease activity and frozen storage on cooked texture of Pacific hake (Merluccius productus) Food Chemistry 113:1076-1082.
Hemung, B.-O., Li-Chan, E.C.Y. and Yongsawatdigul, J. 2008. Reactivity of fish and microbial transglutaminases on glutaminyl sites of peptides derived from threadfin bream myosin. J. Agric. Food Chem. 56: 7510-7516.
Hemung, B.-O., Li-Chan, E.C.Y. and Yongsawatdigul, J. 2008. Thermal stability of fish natural actomyosin affects reactivity to cross-linking by microbial and fish transglutaminases Food Chemistry 111:439-446.
Cinq-Mars, C.D. Hu, C., Kitts, D.D.and Li-Chan, E.C.Y 2008. Investigations into inhibitor type and mode, simulated gastrointestinal digestion and cell transport of the angiotensin I-converting enzyme inhibitory peptides in Pacific hake (Merluccius productus) fillet hydrolysate J Agric Food Chem 56:410-419.
Samaranayaka, A.G.P. and Li-Chan, E.C.Y. 2008. Autolysis-assisted production of protein hydrolysates with antioxidant properties from Pacific hake (Merluccius productus). Food Chemistry 107:768-776.
Research Team & their projects (2008-present):
- Anisa Loewen (MSc student) – Re-assembled casein micelles as fat-soluble vitamin vehicles for fluid milk fortification
- Hao Hu (visiting PhD student) – Effects of high intensity ultrasound treatment on properties of soy proteins
- Lennie Cheung (MSc student) – Enzymatic debittering of whey protein hydrolysates with ACE-inhibitory properties
- Isabelle Lacroix (PhD student) – DPP-IV inhibitors from dairy and other food proteins
- Imelda Cheung (research technician) – Functional ingredients from food protein hydrolysates
- Susan Yang Liu (MSc 2013) – Vitamin D content and stability in fortified fluid milk
- Peter Jenkelunas (MSc 2013) – Fish protein hydrolysates as cryoprotective agents for frozen fish mince
- Siriporn Siriangkanakun (visiting PhD student 2012) - Properties of a proteinase inhibitor isolated from common carp muscle
- Lennie Cheung (summer student 2011) – Antioxidative properties of protein hydrolysates from shrimp byproducts
- Kuo-Chiang Hsu (visiting Associate Professor 2010) – DPP-IV inhibitors from fish processing byproducts
- Malgorzata Korzeniowska (visiting Dekaban Scholar 2010) – Muscle protein-antioxidative ingredient interactions
- Nina Tan (NSERC USRA 2010) – FPH as antioxidative ingredients in fish products
- Anusha Samaranayaka (PhD 2010) – Bioactive peptides with antioxidant properties from Pacific hake protein hydrolysates
- Reihaneh Noorbakhsh (visiting PhD student 2010) – Spectroscopic analysis of pistachio protein processed for reduced allergenicity
- Bartosz Solowiej (Dekaban PDF Scholar. 2009) – β-lactoglobulin-kappa carrageenan interactions
- Thomas Ho (MSc 2009) – Pacific hake hydrolysate as feed attractants for juvenile chinook salmon
- Laurette Tavel (visiting PhD 2008) – β-lactoglobulin-aroma compound interactions